Followers

Wednesday 3 August 2011

crayons - an overview of alcohol pens

There are so many crafty crayons on the market that it's hard to know what to go for.  Some people are very fortunate and get to use or sample all them all, but the majority of us are not that fortunate.  

In terms of alcohol based pens, up until relatively recently they were within the domain of graphic designers and the like, but they were discovered by the crafting community and the world fell into 2 broad camps - copics and promarkers.   As promarkers (manufactured by Letraset) were slightly cheaper, and more widely available when I stumbled across them this is the camp I joined.

And now there are some more.   
Last week Crafter's Companion launched Spectrum Noir - designed by crafters, specifically for crafters.   They look good, and to be perfectly honest, are probably more than adequate for most crafters' needs.  They are much more reasonably priced at £6.99 for 6 and no duplication between packs.   What's more they are refillable, which I have not seen in any pen other than the top of the range Tria pens from Letraset. (but having just done a bit more searching have discovered that copics are refillable too)

And Letraset have now introduced Flexmarkers   This is a range of 72 pens, using the same ink as in Promarkers but with a brush delivery system on the non-chisel end.   51 of the 72 colours are not available in the promarker range.   Ideal World/Create and Craft has the world exclusive launch on Tuesday 2 August 2011 at 2100 GMT.

Many crafters will want them all, and there is nothing at all wrong with that, unless of course you budget will not allow it.  Which mine doesn't - so as I have approximately 60 promarkers I have decided to continue with the letraset route.

I cannot compare the various pens in use, because I have only ever used Promarkers.   I would imagine, for the average crafter they are all much of a muchness, it's just a case of getting used to them, and practising with techniques until they do what you want them to do.

I was inspired over the past week by a lot of useage of the Spectrum Noir pens, particularly on the Facebook group "I'm a crafter's companion" so have been having a bit of a play with the PMs I have, and will post some pics soon.  

And when I get the FMs - then I'll post some more.

For now

later folks
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information, very interesting xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Georgie. It does make you think doesn't it. I used to use Tria markers years ago (because I got them for free) and loved the really small nib, but now I see you can buy these for Promarkers and turn them into Tria Markers. It is a mine field especially without a try before you buy option and let's face it - full sets do not come cheaply. And lets not mentions pencils, etc.
    Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am sticking with Promarkers as what I have has cost me a lot of money and like you can't afford to switch to something different. I like my Promarkers and have bought some of the nib tip thingies and am loving those for colouring small details x

    ReplyDelete

Some stuff about the stuff in the blog

Hello

Very new at this blogging lark, so forgive me if I get a bit befuddled. User name is derived from my maiden name of George and the fact that by the time the Olympics are held in the UK in 2012, I will look as if I could compete. And not as a sumo wrestler.

For starters there is only one blog with contain my thoughts, but this might evolve into 3 or 4 when I work out what I'm doing.

In the main it will cover my slimming journey, my quilting exploits, my get fit and stay fit campaign, and my photography. Not forgetting my recent TrollBead obsession.

Should I ever get a lovelife you might get glimpses of that as well.