Followers

Monday 13 February 2012

Bibble bobble

Evening folks

Since my crochet escapade with the birdie decoration, which some of you eagle eyed viewers (see what I did there) may have seen on Create and Craft's "knit and natter" with Hayley West and Loen Love, I have done a bit of knitting before having a bit more of a practice with crochet.

I may have mentioned before that I am a huge fan of charity shops.  Whilst I was having a browse during my "can I leave the house for more than an hour without needing to sleep all of the following day" expedition last week I found 3 balls of pom pom yarn for 99p.   So I decided to knit something with it.  A cushion, thought I.  And not being sure how many stitches to cast on, or how big it would end up or how far the yarn would go, I cast on about 30 stitches (16 pompoms) and carried on in garter stitch (knitting - as opposed to purling, each row).   It took 2 balls before the sample was about 12" square.   And looked the same from either side.Which left me with a very small cushion front and and only one ball left.

So I had a bit of a think, and whilst watching Jonathan Ross on Saturday evening, I knitted the other ball into a scarf.  Nearly.  Made a mistake whilst casting off and the whole thing got a ladder right down the middle.   So I unrun/unran it, and started again.    and then changed my mind and decided I'd try making a cushion back but obviously I couldn't do it exactly the same as the front as I only had one ball of yarn.     So I did it on bigger needles and did stocking stitch, so rather than be the same on both sides it's a lot looser and flat on the back.

But I couldn't get a cushion pad small enough so bought a cheap 18" one and just shoved it in.  So the cushion is stuffed to overflowing.  But looks reasonable enough.


It's actually supposed to be the other way round, but I though it looked better like this.

I would like to have another go, but until I get round to buying some more of the pompom yarn, I am continuing with crochet practice.    I am just doing rows, and rows, and rows, of treble crochet (which for our US cousins I believe is double crochet) until I reach the end of the 100g ball of aran.   I'm hoping it will be long enough to form into some sort of cowl type thing.   but I don't think it will be so I might have to put some sort of experimental border on it and maybe some flowers and turn it into something pretty.

Or maybe a corset!


Later folks
xxx

1 comment:

  1. This is fab and a great idea to buy a cheap!! Well done you

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete

Some stuff about the stuff in the blog

Hello

Very new at this blogging lark, so forgive me if I get a bit befuddled. User name is derived from my maiden name of George and the fact that by the time the Olympics are held in the UK in 2012, I will look as if I could compete. And not as a sumo wrestler.

For starters there is only one blog with contain my thoughts, but this might evolve into 3 or 4 when I work out what I'm doing.

In the main it will cover my slimming journey, my quilting exploits, my get fit and stay fit campaign, and my photography. Not forgetting my recent TrollBead obsession.

Should I ever get a lovelife you might get glimpses of that as well.